Chocolate Chunk Frozen Cappuccino
I made this delicious concoction yesterday morning since “protein smoothie” was a prompt for the #FitnPhotoChallenge on Instagram. I make a lot of fruit smoothies and I wanted to make something a bit different than I normally do. I’ve been craving something like this since the weather is a bit warmer and since I don’t eat dairy I had to be somewhat creative.
Recently, a few different blogger/Instagram friends suggested adding grassfed butter or coconut oil in my coffee for an extra energy kick. While this concept is not exactly new to me, I have never tried it because I am a black coffee drinker and never had the urge to change the flavor profile. It can make the coffee creamy and a little frothy so I figured if I wanted to make a cappuccino-like drink this would be the perfect way to try it.
My friend Lindsey from One Mother of a Day actually posted this Iced Buttered Coffee recipe not too long ago, which is where I got my inspiration. Another friend suggested using coconut oil and since I don’t have grassfed butter (as used in Lindsey’s recipe), coconut oil the perfect substitution. Here are the ingredients I threw together to make it and prayed to the recipe gods that it would actually taste okay:
- 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Handful of ice
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I used Plant Fusion)
- 1 packet of Starbucks Via instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of cacao nibs
- Blend and sprinkle with more cacao nibs for an extra crunch
- You can also add a tablespoon of cacao powder if you want it extra chocolaty ;)
Have you ever tried blending grassfed butter or coconut oil in your coffee?