Dinner & a Smoothie
I was trying to be clever with the title…get it? Dinner & a smoothie, like movie? Anyway, I have two different recipes to post from this week. One is a a grilled pork chop recipe with roasted celeriac roots and the other is a strawberry shortcake smoothie!
Grilled Turmeric Pork with Roasted Celeriac Root, Apple and Pecans
Celeriac root is a great healthy alternative to potatoes, and can be cooked in much of the same way. They are much lower in calories and carbohydrates but are a rich source of fiber and fill you up! Turmeric is also boasts a lot of health benefits and is a known anti-inflammatory. Using it as a spice is a great way to incorporate it into your diet and in this particular recipe, gives both the pork chops and celeriac root side dish a peppery note that pairs perfectly with the curry and ginger flavors.
- -4 bone-in pork chops
- -ground turmeric
- -onion powder
- -garlic powder
- -salt & pepper
- -2 celeriac root bulbs
- -1 green apple
- -1 cup of pecans
- -1-2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- -1 tablespoon green curry paste
- -ground turmeric
- -ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 425
- Start prep on the side dish first.
- Peel and dice the celeriac root.
- Dice but do not peel the apple.
- Put both into a medium size bowl along with pecans.
- Toss in melted coconut oil, just enough to coat
- Add green curry paste, dashes of ground turmeric and ginger, making sure to mix so that it is evenly coated.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- While the celeriac root mix is baking, season the pork chops with the turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Cook on the grill (preheated), making sure to flip half way through. The grill time will depend on the size of the pork chop.
- Plate once each is done and enjoy!
Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie
- -1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- -1 handful of frozen strawberries
- -1 tablespoon of ground flax
- -1 tablespoon of almond butter
- -1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I used Plant Fusion)
- Blend all the ingredients and top with a sprinkle of ground flax and chopped pecans. Garnish with sliced strawberry to make it look pretty :)
Hope you enjoy!
Have you ever tried celeriac root? If so, what other ways have you made it?