Foodie Friday: Breakfast Makeover- Vanilla Spice Zucchini Bread
Welcome back to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Montana from Pretty Lil’ Mudder, Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, Farrah from Fairyburger and Cassandra from Powered by BLING to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Also, make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
This week is all about taking unhealthy breakfast dishes and making them nutritious AND delicious! I LOVE breakfast, like really love it! It is by far my most favorite meal of the day. I look forward to waking up and brewing myself a big cup of coffee and enjoying my breakfast before the kids get up. It is my special little alone time that I get to actually savor a meal and sit and “relax” for 5 minutes- maybe 20 if I am lucky.
My favorite thing to enjoy with coffee is a piece of bread with a little bit of almond butter. Most days I just throw a piece of gluten free toast in the toaster oven but when I have time to bake I like to make my own bread, especially of the seasonal variety. In this case my latest bread recipe being Vanilla Spice Zucchini Bread. It really is just so scrumptious especially with a cup ‘o’ joe!
Most of the recipes I have found for zucchini bread are full of unhealthy ingredients like sugar and vegetable oil so in order to give this a healthified (is that even a word?) makeover, I substituted in some applesauce for oil and added a scoop of protein for some nutritional value, flavor and good measure 😉
Doesn’t this bread look just delightful for breakfast?
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I used Vega)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 mashed banana
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, patted dry
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl combine and mix dry ingredients.
- In another bowl mix mash the banana, add whipped eggs and mix.
- Mix in apple sauce and extract.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients making sure to mix well.
- Once combined, gently mix in zucchini and walnuts.
- Pour mixture into a greased bread tin and bake for approximately 45 mins. May have to bake a few minutes longer just to ensure bread is done throughout.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
We’d love to keep in touch with you, here are more ways you can connect with us! 😀 Plus don’t forget to check back next week where we will be brining you a dinner recipe, vegetarian style!
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Montana | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’