Foodie Friday: Chocolate Walnut Granola
Welcome back to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, Farrah from Fairyburger and Cassandra from Powered by BLING to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Also, make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
Since I’m still sweating it up at Blogfest/Idea World in LA, Giselle from Diary of an Ex Sloth gracious agreed to share a delicious granola recipe. If you aren’t familiar with her blog, do yourself a favor and check out all the yumminess and fantastic healthy living tips she shares!
PS. Her food photography is SUPER impressive- she really knows how to make her recipes look drool worthy! 😉 Keep scrolling and see what I mean
Hey Everyone! I’m Giselle and I blog about food, fitness and healthy living over at Diary of an ExSloth. I’m so excited to be filling in for Annmarie while she’s away and sharing this awesome Chocolate Walnut Granola with you today.
If there’s one thing you should know about me, it’s that I am a HUGE granola fan and have been since I was a kid. Back then, it was all about the store bought, refined sugar filled granola that wasn’t exactly the healthiest. I actually kept buying granola well into my university years, even after I started eating healthily. I wasn’t until I had to stop eating dairy last summer that I finally gave it up, since store bought granola contains dairy for some weird reason.
Now though, I’m a homemade granola making machine. I’m positive that the day I figured out how to make my own granola was one of the best days of my life; second only to the day I was born. Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration. But seriously. Homemade granola, like this chocolate walnut variation, is easy to make, filled with healthy, wholesome ingredients and so customizable. Plus, if you need it to be, you can make it gluten free, as long as you use certified gluten free oats. Quadruple win.
Chocolate Walnut Granola Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats*
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tbsp ground flax (optional)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup prune puree**
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Mix together the rolled oats, cocoa powder, ground flax, cinnamon and almonds in a large bowl
- Stir in the melted coconut oil, applesauce, prune puree, maple syrup and vanilla and mix well
- Spread the mixture evenly out onto the lined baking sheet and bake for 20 – 25 minutes (or until golden brown) stirring half way through
- Watch carefully after 15 minutes so the granola doesn’t burn
- Stir in the chocolate chips immediately after removing granola from the oven
- Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container
* Use certified gluten free oats if necessary
** You can fine prune puree in the baby food section. If not, replace with 1/4 cup more of applesauce
What about you?
- Do you make your own granola?
- What’s your favourite flavour combination?
Share in the comments below!
Thanks again to Giselle for sharing this chocolatey walnutty (I know that’s not a word) goodness!
Don’t forget to linkup below if you have a yummy recipe to share and come back again next week for some recipes “hot off the grill”!