Foodie Friday: Copycat Panera Lentil Quinoa Bowl with Chicken
Welcome back to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, Farrah from Fairyburger and Cassandra from Powered by BLING to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Also, make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
This week’s theme is “copycat recipes” from your favorite eatery or restaurant! I was inspired to make this broth bowl after seeing the Chicken Soba Noodle Bowl that Suz from Suzlyfe had recreated. I honestly hadn’t even heard of the new broth bowls, mostly because I don’t venture out of my house much… SO when I went to Panera recently I was dying to see what they were all about!
Since I am not much of a noodle fan, I opted to try the Lentil Quinoa Bowl with Chicken. It does contain wheat and soy, which I don’t eat, but I really wanted to give it a try just so I could recreate it. So I got one just to try a taste and see what was in it. No worries, it didn’t go to waste, my hubby at the 99% of what I didn’t.
From the little bit that I did taste, it was pretty yummy and seemed like it would be fairly easy to recreate and make gluten free. If you look at the list of ingredients on Panera’s website it is quite long…..not something I care for or have time to include in a dish I am making at home. So naturally, I simplified it because quite frankly I don’t have time to cook a whole chicken and make broth with 50+ ingredients (that is not an exaggeration).
Here is what I did to make it simple: bought a gluten free rotisserie chicken, used beef broth instead of soy-miso, flavored it with a few spices and sesame oil, used a can of lentils instead of dried and made it all in one pot.
I DID leave out one vital component….the tomato sofrito because I totally forgot to buy it when I went grocery shopping- DOH! You can buy tomato sofrito in a jar and just add some in, I will include it in the ingredients in the recipe along with directions on how you’d add it.
Anyway, this is how mine came out…
- 1/4 cup of quinoa
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 14.5 oz can of low sodium beef broth
- Sea salt + pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Onion powder, to taste
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- 2-3 tsbp tomato sofrito
- 1-2 tsp sesame oil
- Splash of lemon juice
- 1 can of lentils (will not use all), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of fresh mixed spinach and kale
- A few slices of lemon pepper rotisserie chicken
- 1 hard boiled egg, halved
- Garnish with a slice of lemon
- In a medium sauce pan bring quinoa and water to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and let cook until absorbed.
- Add in beef broth, spices, sofrito, sesame oil, lemon juice and approximately 1/4 cup of lentils then bring to a boil.
- Stir in spinach and kale mixture then reduce to low.
- Ladle mixture into a bowl then top with chicken and hard boiled egg and garnish with a slice of lemon.
Join in on the foodie fun and link up below if you have a recipe you’d like to share! Join us again next week- we will be overcoming our cooking fears by making something we’ve always wanted to but have been too afraid to try!
- We’d love to stay in touch! Here are more ways you can connect with us
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’