Foodie Friday: Grilled Zucchini and Eggplant Napoleon
Welcome back to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Montana from Pretty Lil’ Mudder, Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, Farrah from Fairyburger and Cassandra from Powered by BLING to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Also, make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
This week we are whipping up some recipes vegetarian style! I know I have been posting a lot of zucchini recipes lately but that is just because I have a lot of zucchini to use up! So I present to you the last (I promise) zucchini recipe of the season and it is seriously sensational 😀
I gave this a fancy title just because it tastes so amazing but really it is quite simple to make. What the heck does Napoleon have to do with it you might ask? Usually the term (when referring to food) is used to describe the classic puff pastry filled with cream but fancy chefs also refer to stacked veggies as Napoleons and since I like to pretend I’m a fancy chef, I decided to throw it in the title 😉
Anyway, this Napoleon is stacked like so: breaded eggplant (made with gluten free bread crumbs), grilled zucchini, breaded eggplant, fresh mozzarella, tomato sauce and finally topped with some fresh basil for an extra burst of flavor!
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 package of fresh mozzarella
- 1 package of fresh basil
- gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 small jar of pizza sauce (or make your own with seasoned tomato sauce)
- sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice zucchini and eggplant into discs.
- Brush each side with olive oil and season with spices.
- Grill for approximately 5 minutes each side.
- Remove from the grill and let cool.
- Brush each side of the eggplant with a bit more olive oil, season with spices and dredge in bread crumbs.
- Stack slices of eggplant, zucchini, eggplant and place a slice of fresh mozzarella on top.
- Place in the oven and bake until cheese melts then remove and tablespoon sauce over cheese and garnish with a basil leaves.
We’d love to keep in touch with you, here are more ways you can connect with us! 😀 Plus don’t forget to check back next week where we will be bringing you a 30 minute meal recipe!
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Montana | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’