Foodie Friday: Hot and Spicy Caponata
Welcome back to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, Farrah from Fairyburger and Cassandra from Powered by BLING to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Also, make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
Today our theme is hot’n’spicy. I had all intentions on posting a completely different recipe, I even made it and photographed it but my littlest daughter fell ill yesterday and I didn’t have time to edit them the way I’d like. That spicy little number will just have to wait to make an appearance until another day.
Thankfully, I have a recipe in my archives that I posted for Meatless Monday back in August. If you already saw this, sorry for the repeat. If you missed it or it’s your first time stopping by, it’s really a delicious recipe and fairly simple to make- let me know if you give it a try!
This meatless hot caponata is a dish that you can make as hot and spicy as you’d like. I only used jalapenos because I am not a huge fan of spice (stupid reflux) but you could totally add red pepper flakes or chili peppers if you wanted to take it up a notch. I also used eggplant in place of meat but feel free to sub in your favorite meat- chicken, beef, or fish would all taste fab.
- 2 small to medium size eggplants, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 3.5 oz jar of capers
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes with zesty jalapenos
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 package of gluten free spaghetti
- In a large pan, heat olive oil, add onions and garlic and sautee until soft and no longer opaque.
- Add eggplant and olives and simmer until eggplant cooks down.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and sea salt, stir.
- Add capers and wine and let simmer for several more minutes.
- While caponata is simmering, make spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Rinse spaghetti noodles in a strainer, plate & top with caponata.
- Enjoy! :)
Ps. Check out our new logo!
- We’d love to stay in touch! Here are more ways you can connect with us
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’