Foodie Friday: Quick & Easy Chili Rubbed Cod with Fiesta Lime Black Rice
Welcome back to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Montana from Pretty Lil’ Mudder, Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, Farrah from Fairyburger and Cassandra from Powered by BLING to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Also, make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
One of the easiest and healthiest dishes that I make when I am short on time is seasoned and baked cod. It is as simple as dashing the right combo of spices over the fish, and throwing it in the oven and waiting for it to bake while the rice cooks. Normally I serve this with brown rice or quinoa but I found this black rice the other day at the store and was inspired to make this fiesta flavored meal!
Black rice (also known as purple rice or forbidden rice) is not only exotic looking but is high in iron and fiber and is also chock-full of vitamins and antioxidants making it a little known superfood. The color of this rice can be attributed to the anthocyanins it contains which is the same type of antioxidant that gives blueberries and acai berries their distinctive blueish-purple coloring. In fact, it is said that ten spoonfuls of cooked black rice contains the same amount of antioxidants as fresh blueberries! If that’s the case then black is the new brown when it comes to rice in my cupboard! Can’t beat more bang for your buck in the grain department 😉
SO with that in mind, I jazzed up my usual quick and easy fish dinner with some superfood rice that was still ready in just 30 minutes! I did cheat a bit and use steam in a bag frozen broccoli but it’s all good, right?
- 1 large filet of wild caught cod
- 1/2 cup black rice, rinsed
- lime juice 1/4 cup + 1/3 cup
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dried thyme
- sea salt
- 1 steam-in-bag frozen corn
- 1 steam-in-bag frozen broccoli
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium sauce pan bring rice and 3/4 cup of water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium low, stir once and place lid on top.
- While rice is steaming, prepare cod by placing on a foil lined baking sheet and pouring lime juice on top then sprinkle a hefty amount of the chili powder and the rest of the spices to taste evenly across the fillet.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 20 mins
- While rice is steaming and fish is baking, microwave corn and broccoli as per bag instructions.
- Remove cod from oven and rice from the stove top.
- Mix rice with corn and remaining lime juice plus a few dashes of chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Plate fish, fiesta lime black rice & broccoli and enjoy! :)
We’d love to keep in touch with you, here are more ways you can connect with us! 😀 Plus don’t forget to check back next week where we will be serving up some unique dishes for heritage appreciation week!
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Montana | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’