Foodie Friday: Sunday Dinner Sausage & Broccoli Rabe Casserole
Welcome back to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Montana from Pretty Lil’ Mudder, Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, Farrah from Fairyburger and Cassandra from Powered by BLING to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Also, make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
Today our theme is Sunday dinner! Being that my husband’s family is Italian I have attended my fair share of Sunday dinner’s for Sunday sauce over the last 7 years of my life. They usually involve an appetizer of sorts to start such as cheese, meats, olives, wine followed by a meal of pasta, sauce, meatballs, broccoli rabe or escarole, bread and a large salad. Oh and I can’t forget about dessert. There is always dessert. Honestly, it is usually more food than I can throw down my gullet at one time.
It is certainly no small feast and I am sure I am forgetting to mention something. Anyway, when I was attempting to come up with a recipe to showcase for this post, I was perplexed. Spaghetti and meatballs seemed too simple, plus I may end up swimming with the fishes if I give away the secret sauce recipe. I contemplated just posting about one of the side dishes but that really doesn’t do the theme “Sunday dinner” any justice. Then it came to me while I was drifting off to sleep last night in a hungry state of subconsciousness….combine them all, casserole style!
Much like a traditional Sunday dinner, this recipe takes a bit of time, effort and a little bit of love put into it. You have to cook the sausage, broccoli rabe and pasta separately before you combine them to bake but as with any family dinner, it is well worth the wait.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe or broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 lb gluten free penne pasta
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- sprinkle of red chili pepper flakes
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil a pot of water and cook pasta until al dente then drain and set aside.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, cook sausage until brown then transfer with a slotted spoon into a large bowl. Drain fat if desired.
- In the same pan, add onion and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add broccoli rabe along with the wine and cook until tender.
- Add drained tomatoes and mix.
- Add in pasta then 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and mix.
- Transfer all into a casserole baking dish and then top with the rest of the Parmesan.
- Bake in oven for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy! Salud!
- Don’t forget to check back next week, we will be serving up some more pasta perfection! Also, we’d love to stay in touch! Here are more ways you can connect with us
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Montana | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’