Foodie Friday: Turmeric Ginger Iced Tea
Welcome back to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats, Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl, Farrah from Fairyburger and Cassandra from Powered by BLING to create awesome healthy recipes each week! Also, make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!
This week our theme is cold, refreshing drinks just in time for the hot, sweaty days of summer! Other than smoothies, I typically don’t drink my calories (that excludes wine, wine doesn’t count 😉 ).
But seriously, I like my coffee black, I am really not much of a juice drinker and certainly never soda. The only drink that I will have from time to time is iced tea which is exactly what I made today…but with a little twist!
Instead of traditional tea leaves, I made this using powdered turmeric, natural crystallized ginger, fresh squeezed lemon juice and a little honey.
The reason I choose to use turmeric and ginger is because they both have anti-inflammatory properties which is just what I need right now as I start to tackle marathon training.
I actually use turmeric a lot post run (both ground and in pill form) to help reduce joint pain and inflammation from running. I’m not sure what studies have proven or disproven in regards to effectiveness but I do know that it does work for me and that they are widely used for that purpose.
During the winter months, I enjoy this as a hot tea and during the hot summer months, it is just as perfect and refreshing as an iced tea!
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 3-4 large pieces natural crystallized ginger (I used High Valley Orchard)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Raw honey, to taste
- Bring water to a boil then add in turmeric and ginger pieces.
- Reduce to a low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool and strain.
- Pour over ice, squeeze in lemon juice, add in honey and give a little stir.
- Sit back, sip and enjoy!
Note: Settling is normal, just stir it up!
Don’t forget to linkup and share whatever recipe you’ve been loving lately!
We’d love to stay in touch! Here are more ways you can connect with us
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’