Gambling with an Injury: All In or Play It Safe?
Friday morning I leave to go to Vegas to run my first half marathon! I signed up in April for the Rock’n’Roll half and trained my little heart out for months- really pushing to make sure that I would be able to give it my all. Unfortunately, since I ran Ragnar at the end of September I have been dealing with terrible shin pain in my left leg. I attempted to push through and even ran the #VegRunChat Virtual Half Marathon in October but since then, it has all kind of gone downhill. After much contemplation I decided the best course of action was to just take a break from running for the two weeks leading up to the half in Vegas and really concentrate on cross training.
I made that decision because I am almost nearly positive that I have a stress fracture. The smart thing to do would be to get an x-ray and rule it out but I just don’t want to hear any bad news right before I am supposed to run a race that I have dedicated so much time training for.
While I won’t know until after the half if it was the best decision or not, I guess I will see. I may not make my original goal time but I still plan to come in under 2 hours come hell or high water. Kind of like my friend in the cast here:
Anyway, I came across a running version of the old Would You Rather game on Mom Who Tri’s blog and I thought it would be a fun way to get back into running mode right before the race so I played along
1. Would you rather run a 5k or a marathon? At this point, I think I would much rather run a 5k though I am not ruling a marathon out. I would like to see how my half goes first then maybe I’ll be inspired or crazy enough to sign up for a full!
2. Would you rather run in the heat of summer or the icy winter? There are few things that I abhor more than being hot. I really, really, really hate being hot so I guess I would much rather run in the icy cold!
3. Would you rather have new running shoes or a new running outfit? This is a hard one because I love shopping for running outfits but probably shoes. You get more use out of them plus one can never have too many shoes!
5. Would you rather run next to someone in a race who tries to talk to you constantly or someone who breathes heavy and grunts? Hmm… I like to be left alone during a race and I also hate mouth noises in general. Probably the talker- I’d just smile and nod!
6. Would you rather run a race because of the convenience (location, price, travel) or the swag? Swag for sure. I actually signed up for my first race of 2015 (the Syracuse Half Marathon) this morning mostly because I got a sweet sweatshirt for registering!
7. Would you rather run a race with a group of friends or by yourself? I like to go to races with friends and social with them before and after and share the excitement of it all but when it actually comes to running, I prefer to run at my own pace.
8. Would you rather run a PR but result in an injury or finish strong and missing a PR? Since I am currently suffering from whatever injury I have this one is a no brainer. I would much rather miss the PR. Being put out by an injury is so not worth it!
9. Would you rather eat a big meal the night before or a big meal after a race? After the race, please! Eating too much before hand is not my style plus I like the idea of celebrating after with a big meal 😉
10. Would you rather be chased by a swarm of bees or a pack of dogs? Hands down, DOGS…no question. I have the biggest phobia of bees ever. I have nearly run into traffic on several occasions when I came across bees while out on the road. I hate them, they hate me. Bring on dogs, a pack of them for all I care, but NOT bees!
QOTD: Would you rather go all in, take a gamble and risk further injury OR play it safe and not start at all?