Inside Out Apple Almond Bites
Happy first Monday of FALL! I kicked off fall in an epic way by running a 200 mile Ragnar Relay through the Adirondacks. It was full of sweat, laughs, little sleep and of course, lots of running through the changing foliage of the mountains.
Absolutely every mile was pretty awesome but I will save those stories for my recap on Wednesday and share with you a fall inspired apple recipe for Meatless Monday today instead!
I don’t know about you but to me, apples just SCREAM fall! Maybe it’s because I live in an area where autumn means apple picking, apple cider and apple crisp all day, everyday. Seriously, New York is so obsessed with it’s apples that it’s the official fruit of the state and have been since 1976.
In fact, just in case you’re looking to retain some useless trivia on a Monday morning, you should know that apples were first introduced in the 1600’s to America by European settlers who brought seeds to New York. So I guess we have them to thank for delicious recipes like these easy-to-make Inside Out Apple Almond Bites.
Honestly, I got the idea for these sweet inspired fall bites after seeing something done with caramel. I am not really a huge fan of caramel since it is way to sweet for me so I figured I’d give it a try with almond butter instead and I have to say that the results are pretty darn delicious.
Especially when they’re drizzled with a little local raw honey…
Inside Out Apple Almond Butter Bites
- 2 apples (I used Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup no stir almond butter (I used Barney’s)
- 1/8 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- Slice apples in half. Using a melon baller, scoop out inside of apple including seeds and core.
- Fill hallow apples with almond butter and then sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Place in fridge to let chill for an hour (to let almond butter harden a bit) and then remove, slice apple halves into quarters and drizzle with desired amount of honey.
Have a meatless recipe to share? Be sure to linkup with myself and Running On Happy!