Paleo Friendly Maple-Bourbon & Bacon Breakfast Muffins
A week or so ago while I was training my clients at my studio I decided to poll them and ask what kind of recipes they would like to see more of on the blog.
The general consensus among them was that they love quick, easy and healthy breakfast recipes and while smoothies are great, something that can be made ahead of time that you can grab and go in the morning was preferred.
One of them even mentioned how much she liked my Paleo Blueberry Muffins – they’re easy to make, yummy and kept her full.
This, of course, got me thinking. What other muffin recipe could I whip up? I wanted to keep it simple but also a little unique too.
Coming up with a new muffin recipe honestly took me a few days – I had something else totally different in mind (which may still come to fruition soon) but for a day or so, I was stuck. Then, out of no where a little light bulb went off and I realized that making the muffin both sweet AND savory was the way to go.
After all, the beauty of breakfast isn’t just about having one or the other – it’s about the ability to have it all….on one plate or, in the case, one muffin.
So, I present to you, Maple-Bourbon Bacon Breakfast Muffins 😛
Seriously, they’re kinda my new favorite. I even shared them with the painters working at my house and upon taking a bite one of them exclaimed “what did you put in here, crack?! They’re delicious”.
While there isn’t crack in there….bourbon infused maple syrup in mixed in with real pieces of freshly cooked bacon might as well be considered crack.
The best part is that they’re really not unhealthy – the main ingredients are simple, a small amount of syrup, 1 piece of bacon, eggs and almond flour. No extra sugar, no crazy amounts of butter – just straight up breakfast in a muffin! 😉
MAPLE-BOURBON BACON BREAKFAST MUFFINS
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup Maple-Bourbon Syrup
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 2 slices slab bacon, crumbled
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease or line muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and maple extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Fold in pecans and 1 slice of crumbled bacon, reserving the 2nd for topping.
- Spoon or scoop batter into muffin tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove, drizzle with a spoonful more of syrup and sprinkle crumbled bacon, if desired.
Have a healthy recipe to share? Linkup for Foodie Friday!
Welcome back to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Farrah from Fairyburger and Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl. Also, make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!