Meatless Monday: Chef Carla Hall’s Rustic Mushroom Tart
In honor of meeting Carla Hall, one of my favorite and fantastically funny cooking idols this past Thursday, I figured I would feature one of her delicious meatless recipes for Meatless Monday.
In case you haven’t heard of Chef Carla Hall before, she was a competitor on Bravo’s Top Chef where she was well known for making some delicious vegetarian dishes. She is now a co-host on ABC’s The Chew, plus the author of Cooking with Love and I was lucky enough to meet her at #FitBlogNYC this past Thursday. If you do know who she is and you think she is super amazing like me, here are a few pictures to make you jealous:
Yeah, that’s right, she totally cuddled with me for a pic. Anyway, back to her delicious recipe. Her Rustic Mushroom Tart recipe is so perfect in so many ways for Meatless Monday. Not only is it fabulous and fancy but it is truly satisfying. The ONLY thing that I did to modify the recipe was use gluten free pastry crust to adhere to my dietary needs. It also contains cheese, like, a whole lotta cheese which I normally don’t eat but let’s be honest….this entire dish of deliciousness is a bit of an indulgence. I normally don’t chow down on pastry crust for dinner either 😉
Just in case you’re curious, the crust I used was Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free Pie Shells and it is wheat, dairy, egg, soy, nut, corn & casein free. I just simply removed it from the pre-pressed pie tin, formed it into a ball then rolled it out according to her instructions.
Ps. Though I tried my hardest to mimic both the food photography style and the folding of the pastry, I didn’t come close to matching either. #DontJudge.
- 3/4 cup whole ricotta milk
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (I did not use)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound mixed mushrooms
- 1 medium leek, cut into half lengthwise then into thin half moons
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I used two)
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 disk flaky butter crust (I used Wholly Wholesome gluten free pie crust)
- 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together ricotta, goat cheese, parmesan, rosemary and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat then add mushrooms, leek, garlic and salt. Stir occasionally for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add wine and bring to a boil then simmer until evaporated. Add salt and pepper.
- On a large sheet of parchment paper, roll dough into approximately 12 inch round circle then slide parchment paper with the dough onto a baking pan.
- Evenly spread the ricotta mixture on top and spoon the mushrooms over the cheese making sure to leave a 2 inch border. Fold in the border pleating every two inches (my attempts were laughable at this part).
- Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Grate lemon zest over top, drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.
Don’t forget to link up with Cassandra, Rachel & I if you have some delicious meatless dishes to share! Tina & Deborah also host a link Meatless Monday link up, don’t forget to visit them too! I also linked up this recipe with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesday– visit her if you have any type of tasty recipe to share