Meatless Monday: Cilantro Lime Quinoa Collard Green Burritos
This week’s Meatless Monday meal is brought to you by my craving for a healthy burrito. I am not sure the last time I had a burrito though I vaguely remember a stop at Burrito House the last time I was in Chicago for a girls weekend and I may or may not have shoved the entire baby size Mexican bundle down my throat in less than 30 seconds…that story is for another time though.
Back to this burrito which is not only loads healthier than any burrito you can buy at 2 AM on the streets of Chi-Town but also vegan. Plus it has sriracha and sriracha automatically makes anything delicious. Right?
Right. This is also especially delicious because stuffed with super yummy cilantro lime quinoa with black beans, fresh diced tomatoes and avocado then topped with the special sriracha hummus.
Oh and I know you’re wondering why all my photos are of the burrito pre-wrapped…it’s simply because it just looked prettier before I rolled it up. And I’m bad at rolling…I’m more skilled at shoving my face with food as we have already established.
- 1 bunch of collard green leaves
- 1 cup of quinoa, cooked
- 3-4 tbsp, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 package of plain hummus
- 2 tbsp + of sriracha sauce or to taste
- Remove stems from collard greens and place gently into a rice cooker with about 1/2 cup of water.
- Steam for approximately 10 minutes or until soft (not wilted).
- Remove leaves from cooker, dry then and lay out flat on a plate.
- Take cooked quinoa and place into a medium bowl with lime juice, cilantro, black beans and seasonings and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine hummus and sriracha to taste (as spicy as you want it).
- Lay collard leaf out flat then assemble by placing the cilantro lime mixture on the bottom then
- the tomato and avocado.
- Top with sriracha hummus. Fold in sides and roll into a burrito.
- Repeat until all leaves are stuffed.
- If you don't have access to a rice cooker you can simply boil water in a large pot then place leaves in for approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove and blanche in bath of cold water then dry.
Link up with myself, Cassandra & Rachel if you have a meatless recipe to share! I also link up on for Tasty Tuesday’s with Lean Lena so make sure to stop by and check out the deliciousness there too!