Meatless Monday: Italian Grilled Portobello + Eggplant Burger with Marinara Sauce
As a Meatless Monday Blogger, I was recently given the opportunity to try out Dominex Natural Foods aka “The Eggplant People”. Before I begin, it should be noted that Dominex products are NOT gluten free though they are vegan and made with all natural ingredients.
While I normally do not feature items that are not gluten free, I agreed to create a recipe with their Eggplant Cutlet since it’s the #1 selling eggplant product in America and my entire family is a huge fan of eggplants!
Made with all natural ingredients, sourced fresh from the field in less than 3 days. Their Eggplant Cutlets are also low in fat, have zero trans fats and are only 100 calories per serving plus they leave the skin on their cutlets for added fiber, minerals and the awesome phytonutrients it contains.
Since the cutlets are so easy to make, I chose to keep it simple and create a eggplant and portobello mushroom burger with it, drizzled with some marinara.
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps
- 3-4 tablespoons basil-garlic olive oil
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Dominex Eggplant Cutlet, thawed
- 1 leaf of Bibb Lettuce
- 2-3 tablespoons marinara sauce, either store bought or homemade
- Rinse mushrooms and remove stems.
- Brush gill side of each cap generously with the basil-garlic olive oil. Let sit for approximately 20 minutes.
- Heat grill and place eat cap gill side up and grill for about 10 minutes.
- While mushroom caps are grilling, broil eggplant cutlets in oven or toaster oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from grill, top one with lettuce, eggplant cutlet and marinara then place second one on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
Even though I can’t enjoy them, I love the fact that these are quick to make and according to my family, quite delicious. The combination of eggplant with mushrooms and marinara was a home run!
If you want to make more than one, say all five cutlets that come in the box, then just multiple the ingredients accordingly! These would make the perfect “burger” at a summer BBQ and would be sure to please any vegan or vegetarian friends!
Dominex also makes a variety of other frozen eggplant selections such as: Veggie Fries, Eggplant Burgers, Veggie Meatballs, AngelParm Bites and AngelBowls.
I was also given a coupon to purchase an AngelBowl and chose to grab the Roasted Vegetable and Goat Cheese Gratin for my husband to enjoy. It’s made of roasted potatoes and red bell peppers, eggplant mixed with a tomato creme sauce and sprinkled with bits of goat cheese for a little bit of added elegance.