Meatless Monday: Italian Baked Avocado for One!
As you’re reading this I’m currently on a flight on my way back from the Rock’n’Roll half in Vegas. Hopefully alive and not injured 😉 Since I had to write this up quick before I left on my trip, I wanted to make sure I had something yummy to share. Avocados are always a hit so that was a no brainer but I wanted to make sure this recipe was extra tasty and fabulous, so I added some Italian flare and popped them in the oven.
Let me just tell you, you haven’t tasted the deliciousness of an avocado until you’ve baked it. I actually tried a baked avocado for the first time at a book club party last winter. At first I was unsure of what it might taste like…why in the world would someone mess with something as as beautiful as raw avocado perfection? I was skeptical then I took a bite and my world changed a little.
You can really flavor this any way you please (southwestern flavors would be fantastic) but I was in the mood for some Italian so I just grabbed a handful of ingredients that I had on hand, mixed them together, topped the avocado with it and after a 10 minute bake it was ready to devour.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup +1 tbsp gluten free Italian bread crumbs (I used Ian's Panko Italian-Style)
- 1-2 tbsp spaghetti sauce
- 1 tbsp crumbly goat cheese
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise and remove pit.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup bread crumbs, sauce, goat cheese and lemon juice.
- Spoon mixture into each half of the avocado.
- Sprinkle remaining tablespoon of bread crumbs on top of each along with the red pepper flakes.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove and devour!
Don’t forget to link up with Cassandra, Rachel and I if you have a yummy meatless recipe to share!
I also link up with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesdays so make sure to check out all that deliciousness too!