Meatless Monday: Kale & Red Pepper Warm Pasta Salad
As we move into September and the weather starts to cool and rain starts to become the norm, I can’t help but crave kale. I have so many Fall and Winter dishes that include kale in the recipe but I recently threw this new dish together after being inspired by a friends similar recipe and man, it was delicious!
Not only was this as yummy as it looks but it was super simple to put together and perfect for a weeknight meal! Both my husband and my kiddos loved it and ate it right up! Fortunately there was just enough for leftovers and I ate it the next day without even heating it up- it tasted just as delicious cold! Which makes it perfect for a quick weekday lunch too
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- onion powder to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 14.5oz can chick peas, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large head of kale, chopped (or 1 bag pre-packaged chopped kale)
- 1/2 package brown rice pasta- bow tie or spiral style
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- In a large pan heat olive oil and sautee pine nuts. Season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Add in sliced red peppers, lower the heat to medium-low and continue to sautee.
- Fill medium pot with water and bring to a boil for pasta. Cook pasta according to instructions (approximately 8-10 minutes making sure that it doesn't become to soft and mushy). Once pasta is al dente remove from heat then drain and rinse and set aside.
- While waiting for water to boil, add in chick peas and slowly add in kale. The volume of kale will reduce as it cooks so don't be alarmed that it looks like it won't all fit. As the kale wilts, add more until all the kale is in the pot.
- Add in apple cider vinegar over kale and toss making sure to mix thoroughly. Once all the kale has softened, remove from heat.
- Combine the pasta with the kale, red pepper & chick pea mix.
- Plate & enjoy! :)