Meatless Monday: Red Quinoa & Roasted Sweet Potato Harvest Salad
As you are reading this I am currently recovering from the two half marathons I ran this weekend. One in Brooklyn and the other closer to home in Syracuse. It was the first time I ever attempted something like that and I have to say, while I might be a wee bit tired now, it was all totally worth it.
Now that I got that little diddy out of the way, back to more delicious things…like this Harvest Salad I whipped up to share for Meatless Monday.
It’s no secret that I’m obsessed with sweet potatoes and in case that wasn’t clear from my sweet potato recipe roundup, I AM.
I like them in the morning and in the afternoon, I like them in the evening and underneath the moon….errr, or in my salad. (Ps. you’re welcome- I know that song is stuck in your head now).
While I have explored a variety of ways to savor my sweet potatoes, the one way I hadn’t yet was in my salad and what better way to to celebrate the fall harvest than tossing them with some beautiful bright red quinoa, beets, kale and carrots?!
Seriously, this salad is the bomb sha-bing-sha-bang (I just made that up) but what I’m trying to say is it’s GOOD! The only draw back is that it’s a little labor intensive for a salad but if you’re of the meal prepping variety, you can totally throw it together in like 2 seconds!
It’s especially yummy drizzled with olive oil and maple balsamic vinegar…tastes just like fall!
Once you get it assembled and admire your pretty plated work, take a fork and DIG IN!
RED QUINOA & ROASTED SWEET POTATO HARVEST SALAD
Serves 2-4 (depends on your level of hangry!)
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 cup red quinoa, (cooked according to package instructions)
- 1 head of kale, chopped
- 1-2 organic carrots, spiralized
- 1-2 organic beets, spiralized
- 1/4 pepitas (not shown because I forgot, oops!)
- olive oil, to taste
- maple balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Optional: goat or feta cheese, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Diced sweet potatoes and toss in coconut oil, sea salt and thyme.
- Spread on baking sheet and bake for approx. 30 mins
- While sweet potatoes are baking, cook quinoa according to package instructions.
- Chop kale and spiralize beets and carrots.
- Assemble the salad by plating kale, quinoa, sweet potatoes and topping with beets and carrots. Add cheese if desired.
- Dress with olive oil and maple balsamic vinegar to taste.
NOTE: Adding sea salt and thyme to quinoa will give it some additional flavor.
Don’t forget to linkup with myself and Running on Happy if you have a meatless recipe to share!