Meatless Monday: Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Energy Bars
As a member of Influenster, I recently received the new Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread to try out and share. While usually I post lunch or dinner recipes for Meatless Monday, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to share a meatless breakfast recipe.
Reese’s Spreads is a combination of chocolate and peanut butter flavors based on the iconic Reese’s peanut butter cup but in spreadable form. Though the label does not indicate that it is gluten free, after some research I found that it is in fact gluten free which is great because it is also quite delicious!
Since it is spreadable, it would be great on toast, celery, apples, pretzels or really anything that you can imagine. After taste testing several spoonfuls (YUM), I decided that I wanted to take the spread a step further and incorporate it into a recipe.
Instead of creating a recipe from scratch, I decided to add a few spoonfuls of this yumtastic spread into my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Energy Bar recipe to make them just that much more tasty.
The great thing about these energy bars is that they are grain free and really low in sugar. Since the spread has 19 grams of sugar per 2 tablespoons and I only used one serving, these bars are still healthy for you even though they taste just like a Reese’s peanut butter cup!
Prep time: 10 mins Cook Time: 30-35 mins Total Time: 40-45 mins
- 1 can of chickpeas, pat dry
- 1 cup of crunchy all natural peanut butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2-3 tbsp Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Spread
- 2 tablespoons maca powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Blend chickpeas until creamy and smooth.
- Add peanut butter and blend until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients up until the chocolate chips, adding a touch more almond milk if necessary if it seems too dry.
- Once all combined and creamy, fold in chocolate chips and mix.
- This batter will be thick but “pour” it into a greased 10X10 baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes
- Let cool and cut into squares or bars.
- Enjoy with a big cup’o’coffee 😉
Notes: If you want bars to be thinner, cook in a larger pan.
I also link up with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesdays so make sure to stop by and check out all the deliciousness.