Meatless Monday: Risotto Primavera
My Mom gave me these gorgeous zucchinis from here garden and I knew right away that they would be used for my Meatless Monday dish. I used zucchini last week too as a substitute for noodles so this week I wanted to do something a little bit different.
Using the zucchini in risotto seemed like the perfect use for it and including other veggies like tomatoes and mushrooms made this a perfect combination for primavera! I rarely eat risotto but when I do adding some delicious fresh veggies to it make is so much better!
You can really add whatever veggies you please to this dish (peas, carrots, broccoli- it would all taste fabulous) I personally wish I had some yellow squash to brighten up a bit but it was really tasty regardless. 😀
- 2 32 oz cartons of vegetable stock
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 pint baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup of sundried tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes), sliced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 cups aborio rice
- splash of red wine (optional)
- sea salt
- garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a large pot bring vegetable broth to a boil and add 2 sliced onions then salt and pepper to taste and and lower to a simmer.
- Heat oil then add remaining onions and sautee until transparent.
- Add diced zucchini and cook until tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender then add in tomatoes.
- Add in rice and slowly ladle in broth.
- Start with 1 cup then 1/2 cup increments and stir until broth is absorbed.
- While stirring add splash in red wine and season with sea salt and garlic powder to taste.
- Remove from heat and plate.
- The moment that the first liquid is added to the rice it will take approximately 20 minutes to cook.
- It is important to note that you should test the risotto frequently as the broth absorbs to avoid over cooking. You may not use all of the broth and when in doubt, you should undercook it as it will continue to cook as it sits.
Don’t forget to link up with myself, Cassandra & Rachel if you have any delicious meatless dishes to share!