Meatless Monday: Roasted Portobello Mushrooms with Sauteed Lentils & Spinach
Happy Meatless Monday!!! Hope everyone had a fantastic holiday weekend, I know I did.
Actually, I mentioned that on Saturday my friends had planned an “Annmarie is as old as America BBQ” in honor of my 30th birthday and I am sad to say, that never happened (unless of course you count myself and my best friend…we did in fact, “BBQ for two”).
What did happen was totally unexpected! My family, husband and wonderful friends all threw me a fantastic surprise birthday dinner!
The party really was such a surprise and I had an awesome time. I really enjoyed reading these 30 random facts they came up with about me, I had forgotten so many of these fun tidbits as I’ve gotten older.
Other than that, my Sunday was spent fitting my long run in on the treadmill (16 MILES!!!) because my hubby had a golf date he forgot to tell me about. Then I spent the late afternoon by the pool with the kiddos, all in all, very relaxing
Anyway, back to Meatless Monday! Today I am sharing a recipe I kind of “threw together” but it came out quite delicious and very filling making it perfect for a meatless meal!
I chose to make the lentils from scratch so this recipe does take a little longer than the ones I normally share to put together but once you get the lentils cooked, it’s quick and easy!
You can even add a drizzle of balsamic glaze on it as a finishing touch. Completely optional but totally delicious.
- 1 cup of lentils, picked and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 6 portobello mushroom caps
- olive oil
- white balsamic vinegar
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 8 oz spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- balsamic glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan along with 1 cup lentils then reduce to simmer and cover.
- Let cook for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- While lentils are cooking, prepare mushrooms by removing stems, placing on a foil lined baking sheet and drizzling with olive oil, white balsamic vinegar and sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Place portobello mushrooms in oven and let bake for 20 minutes, turning them over half way through.
- Once lentils are soft, drain water and set aside.
- Heat large pan with olive oil and add in lentils along with wine.
- Sautee for several minutes then add in spinach and let cook down.
- Season with more salt and pepper and any other desired seasonings.
- Remove from heat so that spinach does not get too wilted.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and slice lengthwise.
- Plate lentils & spinach mixture then top with sliced mushrooms.
- Drizzle on balsamic glaze, if desired.
Don’t forget to linkup with us if you have a meatless recipe to share!