Meatless Monday: Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
My Meatless Monday recipe this week was inspired by my blogger and foodie friend, Suz from Suzlyfe. Last week she posted Sweet Potato Nachos and they looked so fantastic that I just had to make some sort of super sweet potato concoction to satisfy my craving.
Similar to Suz, I made my sweet potatoes with a southwestern flare but instead of slicing them into chips, I went the lazy route and twice baked them instead 😉
These twice baked, southwestern stuffed sweet potatoes would be perfect for lunch or even a light dinner. They are both gluten free and vegan but are still chock full of healthy protein, fat and fiber.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Total Cook Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk (coconut, almond, cashew, rice)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 bunch of scallions, chopped
- sriracha, to drizzle on top
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Make a slit in each sweet potato, lengthwise, then microwave for approximately 10 minutes or until soft.
- Remove sweet potatoes from microwave then finish cutting them in half, lengthwise. Scoop out inside of sweet potatoes and place into a large bowl.
- Whip cumin, cajun, honey and milk into bowl with sweet potato guts until smooth then mix in .
- Mix in about 3/4 of chopped scallions into mixture, reserving the rest for garnish.
- Carefully scoop mixture back into sweet potato shells then top with black beans and diced tomatoes.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove and top with avocado then drizzle with sriracha.
- Garnish with remaining scallions and serve!
Try it out and let me know what you think! Thanks again Suz for the inspiration! 😀
I also link up with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesdays– make sure to stop by and check out all the deliciousness!