Meatless Monday: Super Simple Vegan Salad
Usually I am all about cooking up something creative for Meatless Monday but this past week my daughter started Pre-K 3 and I have to be honest, it has just been crazy busy. Crazy busy doesn’t mean sacrificing my health for convenience though, it just means throwing something quick together that is healthy but still filling.
I actually was inspired to make this salad when I was scrolling through Lorna Jane’s app in the Nourish section. She has a similar recipe listed for a Mediterranean salad that includes much of the same ingredients but with a few modifications. I made a few additions (like pine nuts) and didn’t include others (like quinoa and alfalfa sprouts) mainly because of time and availability although it would have tasted fantastic. I also made a lemon and hemp seed dressing to take this salad to the next level.
- 1 large plate of baby kale
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/4 cup chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 handful of micro greens
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 dollop of hummus
- 1 sprinkle of pine nuts
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- Assemble the plate by putting the baby kale on the plate first, then top with carrots, purple cabbage, chick peas, micro greens, avocado and hummus. Sprinkle pine nuts over hummus.
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients and whisk together. Drizzle dressing over salad.