Meatless Monday: Thai Sesame-Peanut Spaghetti Squash
Last weekend my family and I took our annual trip up to the Adirondacks so we could enjoy the changing of the leaves and take some time to just relax. While we actually stay in Saranac Lake on Lake Flower, we typically travel into Lake Placid and venture around or take a hike if the weather permits. Unfortunately, it was rather rainy and a bit cold outside so we opted to forgo the hike (since we were toting along my two young children) and check out the Oktoberfest at Whiteface Mountain instead.
While Oktoberfest usually runs the same weekend that we go, this was the first time that we actually took the trip from Saranac to Whiteface to see what it was all about. I was mostly underwhelmed by the entire event, really but they did have some fun vendors there including The Peanut Principle which had an entire tableful of gourmet nut butters on display for taste testing.
Since my phone was dead I wasn’t able to grab a picture but if you head over to their site you can browse through three pages of different flavor peanut, cashew, almond, pecan, pistachio, walnut, hazelnut, sunflower, coconut and a variety of other nut butter blends. As you can imagine I was not able to try them all though I certainly wanted to. The blend I ended up purchasing was their Open Sesame Thai Inspired Peanut Butter. SO GOOD!
It honestly was hard to choose just one but the Open Sesame just screamed delicious recipe to me and I immediately knew I was going to use it for my next Meatless Monday dish! I had originally planned on using rice noodles to make this but in the spirit of spaghetti squash season, I made a last minute change.
And I am SO glad I did because this came out absolutely amazing! I really can’t take all the credit because the Open Sesame Thai Inspired Peanut Butter really made this dish but I did cut the and cook the veggies so that counts for something, right? Regardless, you should try this and if you can’t get your hands on Peanut Principles nut butter there is still a way you can make this deliciousness with some all natural peanut butter and some seasoning and spices. All you have to do it is add more of the seasonings (ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic powder & sesame oil) than I did and it should taste just as scrumptious
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, julienned
- 1 carton baby mushrooms, sliced
- 4 oz of julienned carrots
- 4 oz of sprouts
- 1 bunch of scallions, thinly sliced with bulbs discarded
- 5-6 basil leaves, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons sesame-peanut butter
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp of red chili pepper flakes
- garlic powder to taste
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash length wise and drizzle with olive olive and salt.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until soft.
- While spaghetti squash is baking, prepare and cut vegetables.
- Heat sesame oil in a large pan add veggies and cook until soft then basil & sprouts. Add in peanut butter and let melt along with seasonings.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds in and mix.
- Once spaghetti squash is cooked and cooled, scrape lengthwise with a fork to produce spaghetti-like noodles.
- Place spaghetti "noodles" on a plate then top with prepared veggies and more sesame seeds.
Also, don’t forget to link up your yumtastic meatless dishes with Cassandra, Rachel & I!