Meatless Monday: The Ultimate Kale & Veggie Soup
Happy Monday! Before I share all the yummy details of the recipe, I have some fun news to share with you! I am now an official Meatless Monday Blogger! Meatless Monday is an international movement that encourages people not to eat meat on Mondays in an effort to improve their health and the health of the environment.
Choosing to eat meatless at least one day a week can benefit your health by:
- Reducing the risk of heart disease
- Decreasing the risk of cancer
- Fighting diabetes
- Curbing Obesity
- Improving nutritional quality of your diet
I am excited to participate in this movement as one of their official bloggers and will be sharing meatless recipes with you regularly each Monday! I try to keep the recipes as original and creative as possible with all recipes being gluten free, striving to keep them vegan and never sacrificing on flavor!
With that in mind, I made this deliciously satisfying ultimate kale & veggie soup. Yes, I know it’s August and it should be too hot for soup but where I live it has been cool, rainy and feels a lot like Fall. See, look!When it’s crappy like this outside, I want something that is warm and comforting and to me, that means soup choc full of kale, beans, and veggies galore to provide flavor and fill the tummy!To be honest, when I first laid the ingredients out in front of me I wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out, it sort of seemed like a hodge podge but I knew that once they were combined, it would be bursting with some serious soup deliciousness.
Here is the recipe:
- 2 large onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 carton sliced mushrooms
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 small zucchini
- 10 oz package of baby kale
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can cannellini beans
- 1 32 oz carton of low sodium vegetable stock
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Dice onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms & zucchini.
- In a large wok heat olive oil then add onions and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add diced mushrooms and cover, let them soften.
- Add peppers, cover & let soften.
- Mix in zucchini and let soften.
- Then add kale and let cook down.
- Add vegetable stock & wine then tomatoes and beans.
- Cook for 30 minutes covered on a gentle boil.
- Spoon into bowls & enjoy! :)