Meatless Monday: Vegan Three Bean Chili with Avocado
Happy Meatless Monday and last Monday in February! I don’t know about you but I am always happy to see February come to an end. It is probably my least favorite month, especially this year with all of the terribly frigid temps we’ve been having.
Actually, yesterday was quite warm…a balmy 27 degrees and I was even tempted to breakout the shorts and flip flops. That “warm” blast of air lasted for all of a hot second though and today we are back to bone chilling single degree temperatures!
Aside from a sweaty run or some exercise and vats of coffee, the best way to warm up is with some vegan three bean chili. While I know that this isn’t the most creative Meatless Monday recipe, it certainly is tasty and comforting…especially when it’s topped with avocado! 😉
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbp olive oil
- 32 ounce carton of vegetable broth
- 1 12 oz can of tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of navy beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of kidney beans, drained + rinsed
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- In a small pan, heat olive oil and then sautee diced onions until clear.
- In a crockpot or large pot, pour in vegetable broth then stir in tomato paste, black, navy and kidney beans.
- Add in spices, using more or less to taste.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours in crockpot or let simmer on stove top for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with sliced avocado.