Meatless Monday: Vegetable Tian with Quinoa
Happy Meatless Monday! I can’t believe we are into the second full week of February already, when did that happen? Does that mean Spring is right around the corner? Please say yes.
Not only has it been frigidly cold here lately, it also has been snowing almost everyday and I have to say, I am over it. In an effort to rush this Winter along a little faster I busted out some bright and cheery veggies and made this beautiful Vegetable Tian with Quinoa.
Now, I will be honest… although I have seen variations of this dish made at one time or another, I never knew it was called Vegetable Tian. I just knew it looked pretty and wanted to make some version of it for Meatless Monday and upon my Google search I found that these successive layers of complimenting veggies was in fact formally referred to as a Tian.
So just in case you didn’t know, now you do 😉 Here is my variation of it:
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into thin discs
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced into thin discs
- 2 tomatoes, sliced into thin discs
- 4-5 purple and red fingerling potatoes, sliced into thin discs
- sea salt, ground pepper, garlic and onion powder
- olive oil to drizzle on top
- 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare quinoa in a saucepan on the stovetop, combining the quinoa with the vegetable broth. bringing to a boil then reducing to a simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Transfer to an 8×8 baking dish and then strategically place vegetable discs vertically on top, alternating between zucchini, squash, tomatoes and potatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil then season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes, covered with aluminum foil.
- Remove and sprinkle cheese on top and leave uncovered, bake for another 10 minutes allowing cheese to melt.
- Remove and serve immediately.