Meatless Monday: Warm Balsamic Brussels Sprouts + Pear Slaw
This past weekend the weather here in Upstate New York was so warm that it was spring like. On Saturday I went for an 8 mile long run outside and it was so warm that I almost took my long sleeve top off. Later in the day it got even warmer and temps reached the 50’s! WHAT?! That is craaazy and nearly unheard of in the typically frozen tundra of Central New York.
Anyway, despite the CNY heat wave, I have been craving warm and wintery meals especially dishes with Brussels sprouts. Even though I used a winter veggie, I was inspired to give this dish a summery flare by creating it “slaw” style but served warm instead of cold!
This Brussels sprouts and pears slaw is mixed with caramelized onions, toasted walnuts and a splash of balsamic. It is incredibly quick to make and would be perfect as a weeknight main dish or a side dish to a larger meal.
– 2 lbs of Brussels sprouts, julienned
– 2 pears, julienned
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 2 tbsp balsamic
– 1/3 cup walnuts
Heat olive oil in a sautee pan, add onions and cook until soft.
Add in Brussels sprouts and pears and cook until soft.
Add balsamic and stir until combined then add in walnuts.
Let reduce for severals minutes then plate and enjoy!
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, julienned.
- 2 Bartlett pears, peeled and julienned- core discarded.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- sea salt + ground pepper to taste
- Cut and prepare Brussels sprouts, pear and onion.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and add onions, cooking until soft.
- Add in Brussels sprouts and pears along with balsamic and nuts.
- Season with salt and pepper and let cook down for several minutes until pears and Brussels sprouts are soft.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl.