Patriotic Berry Pizza & A Firecracker Workout!
I like to be festive and I had this cute star plate sitting around that I was dying to use for a dish for the Fourth of July. I wanted to make something simple but versatile and obviously delicious. I struggled all day to come up with a recipe when it occurred to me a fruit pizza would be the perfect patriotic treat.
This red, white and blue tribute is made of a gluten free oat crust with a strawberry chia jam sauce topped with blueberries and sprinkled with coconut flakes. I tried my hardest to put the blueberries in the shape of a star but we all know I am not that talented.
The crust recipe actually comes from The Lean Green Bean and is made of oats, almond milk, flaxseed, shredded coconut and cinnamon. Head over here for the measurements and instructions. I toyed around with making my own crust recipe up out of almond flour or quinoa flour but the recipe featured on her site was just too simple to say no to. Why reinvent the wheel, right?
- For the Strawberry Jam Sauce
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1-2 tbsp water (just enough so it can blend)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- sprinkle of unsweetened coconut flakes
- -mini chocolate chips
- -diced nuts (pecans,macadamia,almonds)
- -drizzled white chocolate
- Start by making the crust. You can head over the The Lean Green Bean for the full list of instructions- there is a link at the bottom of the recipe card as well as above.
- Blend together the ingredients for the strawberry sauce, making sure that it is smooth when done. Refrigerate while you let the crust bake and cool.
- Assemble the pizza by spreading the sauce in a circular fashion over the crust with the flat side of the spoon until a majority of the crust is covered.
- Top with blueberries in any way, shape or form you would like.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes like you would cheese.
- Add any additional toppings that you might enjoy...it is pizza after all ;)
This patriotic pizza would even be the perfect activity for kids. Just pre-make the dough and let them go crazy with any kind of fruit topping they would like. Or you could be like me, avoid the mess and just eat it all by yourself for breakfast!
Explosive Firecracker Workout!
Adding this workout to the post since I did it this morning to kick off the 4th with a BANG! I used my Ultimate Sandbag, a kettlebell and stability ball adding plyometric moves to really pack in some power!
I ran the 4 miles beforehand and after a brief cool down, moved on to the workout. If you want to try this patriotic firecracker, the running is totally unnecessary but I was just feeling the need to log some miles! Plus now I feel like I have earned a celebratory cocktail later 😉
What festive ways are you going to celebrate the 4th of July?