Soft Baked Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Protein Cookies
When it comes to cookies, the varieties can be endless. Not only are there different flavors like chocolate chip, oatmeal, ginger snaps and sugar cookies (just to name a few) but there are different ways to bake them. You have your chewy kind, your thin and crispy kind and of course, the soft baked kind.
These sweet potato protein cookies are of the chocolate chip and soft baked variety not to mention that they’re gluten free, dairy free, soy free, oat free and nut free making them a yummy, allergy friendly option.
Typically when I’ve made cookies in the past, I tend to go the grain free route and use nut butters to make my sweet treats but that changed while I was awaiting my gallbladder surgery.
Since I was unable to really digest fats properly, I had to avoid them for a while and find other allergy friendly alternatives. After limiting grain for some time, I decided to reintroduce it into my diet and see how I would fare. Turns out, it didn’t bother me nearly as much as I thought it would.
So, when I went to make these cookies I decided to forgo the Paleo route but keep them gluten free (and allergy friendly) by using some Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-1 Baking Flour that I had in the cupboard.
While I knew they were going to turn out a little more cake-like than the cookies I am used to making, I didn’t realize HOW cake-like they would be.
Which, turns out, is not a bad thing. I honestly didn’t realize how much I missed soft baked cookies until these came out of the oven.
Personally, I prefer to enjoy them warm along with a scoop of dairy free ice cream but you can eat them any way you want. Including for breakfast since they also happen to be made with plant protein. Who says you can’t refuel after a run with cookies?! 😉
Soft Baked Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups gluten free baking flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 25 grams (or 1 scoop) vegan vanilla protein powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 oz unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large sweet potato (skin discarded and mashed)*
- 1 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and protein powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and syrup then add in applesauce, vanilla extract and mashed sweet potato until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until totally combined then fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough out of bowl into tablespoon size servings and form into balls then flatten as you place them on baking sheet.
- Bake 9-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Ps. It also happens to be National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day so now you have an even bigger excuse to make these! 😉
Welcome back to our weekly Foodie Friday link up! I’m linking up with Farrah from Fairyburger and Esther from Chocolate Runner Girl. Also, make sure you hop around to check out all the amazing recipes in this link up and feel free to add your recipes as well!