Watermelon & Arugula Salad with Grilled Shrimp, Drizzled with a Balsamic Glaze
Just feast your eyes on that for a quick second. Doesn’t it look drool worthy? This dish with the longest name ever was inspired by an appetizer that I had at a local restaurant called Rainbow Shores when my husband and I went out to dinner recently. It was pretty much just watermelon, arugula and balsamic but the combination of flavors tasted decadent and even a bit indulgent. I was actually really impressed with the entire meal there and it was totally unexpected considering the restaurant is located in the middle of no where off a literal beaten path.
This was my view of the Lake while dining though so it was totally worth the adventure of getting there. Honestly, if you’re local and haven’t been here for dinner yet; you’re missing out. Rainbow Shores is like this little hidden treasure of deliciousness with an extraordinary view of the majestic lake we live on and all take for granted. Point being, if you haven’t been to Rainbow Shores to dine, do it.
Anyway, this dish is rather simple and there isn’t much to explain so I will just let the pictures do the talking for me.
- 13-15 count raw shrimp, deveined & peeled
- Sea salt, pepper, & garlic powder
- 1 bunch of arugula
- 1/4 watermelon, sliced in triangles
- Balsamic glaze
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper and garlic to liking.
- Secured onto raft skewers and grill until no longer gray in color.
- Remove from grill and place aside to plate.
- Place arugula on a plate and carefully place watermelon on top.
- Position shrimp on top of the watermelon.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Enjoy! :)
We chose to eat this as an entree but it would make a great appetizer or light summer time dinner. It really does taste like perfection on a plate- between the bitterness of the arugula, the sweet juicy crispness of the watermelon and the savory barbeque flavors of the shrimp, this dish just might be my new favorite!
QOTD: Are there any hidden gem restaurants where you live?